Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 127 - Thessaloniki, Greece

I didn't get much sleep on the train. By early morning, I had reached Thessaloniki, the second largest city in Greece. It was about 6am. I found myself a bus to the city centre.

I first came to Lefkos Pyrgos, which was the White Tower, the main landmark of Thessaloniki. I took my photos around here, and had a walk around.







I then waited for the Archaeological Museum to open, as it was still early morning. When it opened, I headed in, and had a look around. It contained a fantastic display of Vergina treasures, from times of Alexander the Great. He was from this region. The museum was very impressive. Lots of gold!

After my visit here, I made my way to Thessaloniki's train station in order to find a ticket to Serres, where Iro lives. It's not very far from here. It would be too late to book a ticket now, as Iro would need to be home after school by a certain time. I would be better off getting a head start tomorrow.

So, I took the time to explore Thessaloniki a little more, and then I found myself a cheap hotel. It was only €20. It wasn't the best quality hotel, consequently. I fell asleep pretty early. I had Agnes to talk to via text messaging, and we discussed our possible meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment