Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 104 - Roman & Ancient Agora, Theatre of Dionysos, Ancient Athens

Today was a big day out. I woke up early this time, not repeating yesterday's mistake, and headed into the city. The first place I visited was the Folk Art museum, just to have nothing more than a quick look around. It was alright.

The real fun began afterwards. I visited the ancient site of the Roman Agora and the Tower of the Winds. It was a fantastic ancient site. You can already see much of it from outside the gates, but it was worth entering the actual site grounds as well.














I didn't have to pay for entry, though, as I was using the same ticket that Aleko bought me for the Acropolis, which was a €12 ticket, allowing access to another five ancient sites. I had an initial plan to take Lora and Panos with me to these ancient sites first, as they themselves have never set foot in them, but since they weren’t available for much of the time, I figured that it couldn't work out.

After exploring this ancient site as fully as I could, I went to the Ancient Agora, a much larger ancient site. This one was just fantastic. I think that this is by far, my favourite ancient site in all of Athens. I absolutely loved it, and spent hours here.
















I also wanted to visit the Cycladic Art museum, but that was closed. So I made a visit to the Theatre of Dionysos, another ancient site, tucked beneath the acropolis. Again, it was an amazing site. I think this has been the most touristic day I've had so far; it was very enjoyable at that. It was a perfect day as well; not too hot, and not too cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment