Friday, March 28, 2008

Day 128 - Serres, Rodopoli and Kato Poroia

I woke up early and explored the rest of Thessaloniki that I missed yesterday. I checked out the main ancient site, the Roman Agora, situated in the centre of the city. The site was closed, but I had good views from the outside.




I then headed to the train station and caught the Intercity train to Rodopoli, the station I'd be getting off at to see Iro. Unfortunately, this "Intercity" train was delayed, and as a result, I would arrive too late to be able to see Iro. Well, I wasn't waiting until the next day. I went anyway. I'll find somewhere to sleep over there for the night.

It was a good train journey along the way. There was lots of green; the most green I've ever seen in Greece, and it was beautiful. I passed by the border of Greece and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia as well, being able to see the country. I got a text message from my phone service provider saying 'Welcome to Macedonia', even though I wasn't in the actual country. It must have picked up a signal.

I arrived at Rodopoli station and checked out the town. It was pleasant, and quiet place, in the far reaches of Northern Greece, near the Bulgarian border. There was a beautiful mountain which was what separated the two countries. There was not much to do in this town, however. I asked around for an internet cafe.

I chilled around on the internet, and occasionally I had random people asking me if I was an army soldier. The locals have never seen me around here before.

I then went to check out Iro's village, Kato Poroia. It wasn't a very far walk away. It was a nice place. I was somewhat tired though, and I didn't want to pay for a hotel. There was only one in the area, called Epavlis, which Iro recommended to me. I decided to sleep in the train station, on the bench. It wasn't the best place to sleep, as it was quite painfully cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment