Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day 125 - Marmari, Evia

And then it got even worse. I woke up and checked out of the hotel at 6am, as planned, and headed over to the ferry office to collect my "6:30" ticket back to Rafina. Guess what. The ferry was delayed. It was not known when it would depart. So, first off, I got up early for nothing, and secondly, it was freezing cold. I could have stayed warm in my hotel room until later. Not to mention I didn't carry a jumper with me either. I was there, out in the cold, with nothing more than a shirt on. It was horrid. It seems that I just couldn't get anything right. This is what happens when you don't have a well organised trip. Then again, the only source for information I had was from my Lonely Planet guidebook. It's not easy to organise something through this book, as not everything is up to date.

I had to find some shelter for myself and keep warm for the next two hours. It wasn't a pleasant experience at all. I had to cover myself with a spare pair of pants to use as a blanket. I layed down some cardboard that I found, and used it as a bed. I was disgusted that I had to resort to this. I would just have to sit here and wait.



The sun came up later, and it was warm enough to leave the shelter. It was uphill from here; I went on a photoshoot. The island was beautiful and I took plenty of pictures. This place was going to be left behind as a memory. There were nice cycladic-type houses lined up along the streets, painted in blue and while, and there were windmills situated on the hills above. This was the good part of my trip.


















After all this drama, I hopped on the ferry to Rafina, which left at 9:40am. Day saved. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Arriving home, Despo complained about me not having a jacket with me. Well, it was in the wash here. Then I told her that I wanted to go to Thessaloniki. She wouldn't allow me. Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I'm not going to let this pass by that easily. I am allowed to do what I want. She cannot interfere with my rights to what I want out of life. I love travelling. Despite my horrible experience today, I still love it, with a passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment