Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 106 - Moni Dafniou, Athens

Today was going to be another big day. I made my way over to Eleonas metro station, a point from where I would catch a bus to the Monastery of Dafni. The bus goes all the way to Elefsina, a suburb out of town.

I was supposed to get off at the bus stop nearest to the monastery. But I didn't know exactly where I was, until the bus moved further along. The next stop was another 1500 metres from where I was supposed to get off. I got off here; and it was a long walk back. Not only that, I had to cross the highway; and there was no crossing that I could find.

I did manage to find one way of crossing, though, and that was by going underneath the highway through a dirty drain tunnel. I had to crouch down to crawl through it, all the way to the other side. What an adventure I'm having already!

When I got to the other side, I had to climb a hill, and trek through a forest, with bee hives, yes, bee hives scattered along the way. I've never seen a bee hive before. I kept my distance from them, and walked along the rugged terrain until I came to an actual path. I followed the path all the way to the ancient monastery.

And it was closed. All that, and the ancient site was under construction and not open to the public. Still, I made the visit as worthwhile as I could. I took a few photos from outside the grounds, and after I was finished, I headed back into town, back to Eleftheroudakis and began researching my next trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment