Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 29 - Tallinn - Riga - Kaunas

It was time to say goodbye to Estonia, and head for new land. Or old. It was not so long ago since I was last in Latvia - and coming back here would bring back memories and feelings for sure. Inevitably I had to pass through it to continue on my European tour. However, I wasn't sad. I was happy, and I embraced the significance this place had for me. I learnt some of the most valuable lessons I could ever possibly learn in life, from coming to this place two years ago while I was in my first, and to date, only relationship - a long distance one at that. This time I would not be coming back here to catch up with her - that will have to wait until I get to England, which is where she has relocated to. The relationship is long dead, but the friendship isn't, which is a good thing.

Riga was all too familiar. I could barely believe I was here again. Who'd have thought?

I would be transiting here for two to three hours - I immediately went to my favourite restaurant, Cili Pica, to grab myself something to eat. I got fried dumplings with mushrooms. This was my favourite restaurant - I wish the food they had was available everywhere. Here and Lithuania seem to be the only countries I can get these specific dishes - they are amazing!

I had a stroll around Riga once I was done. I let myself be reminded of the beauty and the memories of the place. I knew my way around. I even spoke in Latvian to buy something back at the station.




The bus to Kaunas was half an hour late - I got on, and we stopped by the airport - another place I spent a deal of time. And then I'd be overnighting it to Warsaw, so I had to get some sleep on the bus - of course, one of the most uncomfortable places to sleep. But it wasn't so bad. I lay flat across the isle, underneath the seats. Other people were doing the same. I'd get to Warsaw at around 6am.

No comments:

Post a Comment