Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 22 - Arrival in St. Petersburg

I met my agent at the station and he introduced me to the city of Saint Petersburg. He drove me to my homestay; another soviet apartment block. It was quite early in the morning, and a little chilly.

After a few minutes of rest and getting my stuff together, a cup of tea and some eggs, I was shown around the city's sights and attractions by the agent who brought me here. He showed me around by car, and by foot, and also shared a story with me about Rasputin. I was with him for three hours, and he showed me around some of the souvenir shops as well. I wanted to buy a Russian Ushanka, one of those furry hats, but they were ridiculously expensive.












Saint Petersburg looked like a beatiful city. It's considered Russia's most 'European' city, and I could see the resemblances. My agent told me to be careful of the pickpockets; they were apparently quite skilled around here, and there have been cases of travellers being robbed of their money belts. I decided I wasn't going to carry my money belt with me at all around this city. Not even my wallet. I would just have my phone, and a little bit of cash in my pocket, with all the important stuff left at the homestay.

We went and got my visa registered after the tour ended, and I gave the fifty-dollar US note that I had on me. My agent then took me to a restaurant, where he helped me order what I wanted; it was a Russian-speaking only restaurant. He told me the food was good here.

I had a nice pork meal for lunch, and that was the last I saw of my agent. I headed back to the homestay afterwards, put my documents away, then had a nap. I was tired.

I didn't do much else for the rest of the day other than catch the metro into the city for a while and have a look around. I caught up with the people I needed to on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment