Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 165 - Meteora, Kalambaka, Greece

Today is the day we'll be headed back from the village. We woke up at around 6:30am, and I arranged for Parry to drop me off at the site of Meteora, which is along the way.

So, after about two hours of driving, we arrived in Kalambaka, the town that is situated right beneath the Meteora. They are fantastic rock formations! I waved goodbye to my uncle from here, as he drove off, and I was free to explore the great natural wonder.

I made my way towards the rocks, looking for the path to get up. I had company from the start of the climb; a dalmatian dog. It was a stray, which I found right at the beginning of the trail.

I took my photo opportunities, then headed further and higher up. It was a tiring, yet exciting hike.









I hiked my way to the monastery of Aghia Triada, which was one of the several monasteries perched atop the rock formations. From up here, the view was fascinating. I could see other monasteries in the distance, as well as the Pindos mountain ranges in the other direction. It was absolutely amazing, and I spent quite a bit of time on the summit of this rock pillar.


















It wasn't too long afterwards that I headed back down, and waited for a train back to Athens. I had my day, but I'm thinking that I should have explored more. There's always another time, I guess.

I happened to miss my first train. I wasn't happy. I had to wait another few hours for the next one. This gave me an opportunity to meet some more travellers from around the world. I met some American or Canadian travellers, who asked me for directions to the Meteora. I just told them to head along the main road and get into town, then head in the direction that the rocks are in. I also met another guy at the train station, who I had a chat with while waiting for my train to arrive.

By the time the train arrived, I hopped on board and enjoyed the ride home. Or at least, I tried to. Sooner or later, I had no seat to sit in, as my ticket didn't have a reserved seat assigned to it. Some nice ladies kindly offered me a seat where they were sitting.

During the long train ride home, I didn't want to get out of my seat and lose it as a result, so I stayed seated. Then my legs were beginning to ache. By the time I got back to Menidi, my legs were in agony. I couldn't understand why. It must have been because of the limited circulation. They actually felt very painful, not just sore or fatigued. With each step I walked on the way home from the train station, it felt like my muscles were being ripped apart.

I was so glad to get home, and I was so glad to get to lie down in bed. My legs are feeling better. They will heal overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment