Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 39 - Paris, France

After having a croissant for breakfast (typical of French), I checked out and made way to the other hostel called 3 Ducks. I had spread my stay in Paris over two hostels, as I couldn't get three nights in a row with one due to unavailability.

The hostel was pretty easy to find using the metro. I enjoy navigating a new city, especially one with a complex metro system. It's like going through a maze.

This hostel was a short walk away from the Eiffel Tower, which I would visit today. It wasn't time for check-in yet, so I left my bag in the locker room. I then headed through the streets navigating my way to the Eiffel Tower.





The view of the tower became more and more magnificent as I approached. I got to the base and decided to take the stairwell to the first level. It was only 3,50, as opposed to taking the lift which would have been 13. I thought, I'd rather put the physical effort in to climb the tower, that way it feels more earnt.





It didn't take too long, but I had some nice structural views on the way up. I spent some time on the first floor, then took the next stairway up to the second floor. It was an additional €5 to take the elevator to the summit, to which unfortunately I didn't have the cash on me at this time, so I missed out. I appreciated the view of what I could get.


I went back down and did some more exploring of the streets. I found my way to the Arc de Triomph. I noticed from what my college teacher once told me about this roundabout, is that the cars coming in had the right of way, and those in the roundabout had to give way, which was interesting.


I had enough sightseeing for the day, and headed back over the Seine to my hostel, and had pizza for dinner at a nearby eatery.








No comments:

Post a Comment