Friday, December 14, 2007

Day 23 - Central Athens, Filopappos Hill

Today was a rather big day. I was home alone. I decided to take a look at the free map that I got yesterday, and see where I could go.

So I went out at about 12, caught the 308 bus to Ethniki Amyna and the metro to Syngrou-Fix. The station here was nice; it had a bookshop, and I checked to see if it had any Lonely Planet books. I didn’t find any. I left the station and walked towards Filopappos Hill. It wasn’t a very long hike, but it was awesome nonetheless. I hiked my way to the top of the hill, enjoying each step I put forward. From the top, you could see almost all of Athens. You could see Likavittos Hill, the Acropolis, and all the way out to Pireaus. I could see in just about every direction, and the views were great! I wish I had my camera. I spent about an hour on the summit and surroundings, appreciating the view, the nature, and scaling the jagged-marble cliffs. They were quite jagged; I could only imagine what it would be like to tred on these rocks barefoot.

On the way down, I was almost attacked by three random stray dogs. I was scared, but I was seriously ready to combat them. They were running towards me, barking, and I actually hopped into fighting stance, just out of instinct. It seemed to scare them off. I ran towards them as well, to keep them running away. It seems that reverse phychology worked perfectly. Well, they didn’t bother me again. I was rather shocked about the experience though. I seriously thought they were going to attack me. But I showed that I wasn't intimidated, even though inside I felt it.

I caught the metro to Monastiraki and got myself a souvlaki, and then I went to Aghia Paraskevi to spend the last hour in the internet café.

No comments:

Post a Comment