Friday, November 23, 2007

Day 2 - Central Athens, Monastiraki and Plaka

I went travelling with Despo again; this time it was a different procedure. We caught Bus number 308 from Glyka Nera, and headed to Ethniki Amyna Metro Station. From here we caught the metro to Monastiraki, located in the city centre of Athens, and walked to Plaka, the old town. It took a while to find Plaka, but I must say it was well worth it. The narrow labyrinthine streets, particularly Adrianou street, were very fascinating. It was a very attractive and quiet part of town, tucked beneath the floodlit acropolis. Souvenir shops and restaurants were lined up along every street! This is a place that most tourists use as their base, but as I had free accommodation, I wouldn’t need to stay here.

Me and my aunt decided to stop by a cafe and have a Greek coffee. The cafe was nicely situated at a high point in Plaka, overlooking the city of Athens, with Lykavittos Hill in view. We discussed the metro system rules and regulations as I still didn’t understand. Unfortunately, my aunt wasn't very good at explaining, neither was I good enough at Greek at this point.

We then went back home by metro and bus. I’ll definitely be coming back to Plaka again. It's an amazing part of town! I’ll explore more of the streets, its shops and restaurants in my own time.

On the way back to Glyka Nera, we got off at Aghia Paraskevi and looked for an internet café that I could use. We found one after asking for directions. I plan to come here tomorrow and catch up with my online friends, and friends back home in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment