Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Day 77 - Lykavittos Hill, Athens

Today was going to be a rather big day. I headed out at midday, and caught the X41 bus to the Olympic Complex Stadium. This was a good transfer point from Menidi to the city. I took the electric train from the Stadium to Attiki, and got myself a new weekly ticket. I then went into the city, and got myself a Souvlaki from Savvas. The waiter knew what I wanted; chicken. I have been to this shop enough times for the waiter to remember me, not to mention I was a foreigner as well. Afterwards, I went to Eleftheroudakis book shop, once again. I dediced to take a picture of the National Library on the way.



Then, I decided I was going to take a little hike. First I walked along the Grande Promenade, and climbed the Hill of Pnyx and the Hill of Nymphs, which was a beautiful hill, marble embedded, situated right beneath the acropolis. There were lots of people on here as well, and I took my walk around. It was pretty adventurous. I also saw a tortoise while on my trek through the forest. I picked it up and moved it to a safer place, where it couldn't accidentally be trodden on.





By sunset, I headed to Evangelismos station, and climbed my way to the top of Lykavittos Hill, the major lookout point in Athens, and a pretty tiring climb at that. I had to take off my jacket.

At the top, there was a nice church, where I spent some time inside and did my cross. I took many photos from different viewpoints up here, and it was a great place to be where I could take in the view, chill out, relax, and listen to the world before me. I was mesmerised. A high viewpoint is a great place to indulge yourself. From the top of this hill, I could see Athens in all directions, and the nearby Saronic Gulf island of Aegina. It was a great vantage point. I spend well over an hour up here, just sitting down and thinking to myself.



















No comments:

Post a Comment