Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Day 48 - Pagrati, Athens

Today I caught the bus, metro and trolley to Filolaou Street. This time, the bike shop was open, and I saw Niko in there. I hadn’t seen him for about 7 years, but I recognised him instantly. I walked in and greeted him. At first I asked him if he knew who I was. He said no. Then I said “Saki”, and he instantly jumped up in shock. He was very surprised and happy to see me and we exchanged a hug. He wondered if I was here with my parents, and even checked out the door expecting another surprise, but I told him I was alone.

It was great meeting him again. And he even had the internet, which I could use for free. Unfortunately, Elli couldn’t be there at the time, as she had work. But I spent the whole day at the workshop, and later in the night, Niko drove me home and we talked on the way. He actually let me do some of the driving once we got on the freeway. That was my first driving experience in Greece, and it was a bit different to have the steering wheel on the other side of the car. Still, I managed, and I sped straight up to 160km/h on the freeway, without it actually seeming any faster than driving at 110km/h in Australia. Everyone drives fast here, so you’ve gotta go with the flow. It was an enjoyable experience for me, and not only had I not driven since leaving Australia; I hadn’t ever driven a left-hand drive car on the right-hand side of the road.

We had supper at Goodies in Menidi, then he dropped me off back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment