Sunday, December 16, 2007

Day 25 - Koutouki Caves, Peania, Athens

I made my way to the town of Peania again today. This time, I got off the bus where I should have yesterday. I tried to find the Vorres Museum. I couldn’t find it, so I decided to walk to the caves instead. Buried all the way up in the side slopes of Mt. Hymettos, it was a long walk! All the way up the mountain, it was a hike along a 3.5km road. Infact I didn't even use the road the whole way. At parts where it was winding, up towards the mountain, I took a shortcut up the slope. It was a very steep slope, but I chose to go that way, rather than go another kilometre around a few winding bends. It took me about 2 hours to reach the caves. I was very tired.

I bought myself a bottle of water and drank. I entered the caves for free, surprisingly, and got a tour. It wasn’t bad. The tour leader spoke Greek, of course, so I didn’t understand everything. The woman who I saw at the reception desk handed me a sheet with the tour written in English. I was the only English speaker in the caves.

The caves were nice, and it was pretty good to spend the day in here. I guess the walk was worth it – I had to walk all the way back too, though. I avoided the twisty road and took a shortcut down the slopes again. True adventure!

I got a souvlaki from a shop in Peania, across the road from the plateia. I gave some to the dog that looked at me while I was eating, but not much. I caught the bus back home and had a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment